Light blue walls, stripes, sandy ft on a slipcovered sofa and woven details all call to mind the gorgeous airiness of a tiny bungalow on the beach. Whether your view is seaside or cityscape, you can get the coastal look by shopping for the basic touches that specify the style. You do not even have to buy new furniture ; it’s simple to incorporate nautical and beachy accessories and textiles to make your house feel holiday ready.
Connected: So Your Design Is: Coastal
Mahoney Architects & Interiors
When developing a coastal-style residence, there are a few important pieces you’ll want to consider. Natural textures are an essential component that you can add through furniture made from rattan, sea grass or wicker. Driftwood pieces can be somewhat cliché, but natural unstained forests or chippy painted timber can make the identical casual texture. And for upholstered pieces, white slipcovers that may be washed, bleached and dried in sunlight make an instant beach-house feel that may resist sandy feet and towels.
Stripes are a classic way to bring a beachfront touch. Broad white and navy stripes have a nautical shadow, while thinner red and white stripes feel a bit more rustic, like in a French coastal village. Insert stripes upholstery, like here, or in pillows or a rug. You may even paint stripes on your walls for a cheap but high impact look.
Here are some top coastal accessories and where to find them.
Dakota Rope Drapery Tiebacks, Natural – $65
Rope detail is a great way to put in a coastal or cursory look. These curtain tiebacks could be a very simple detail to add to breezy drapes. Other means to incorporate rope might be as cushion edging or arranged artfully in a hurricane vase. You might even use heavy rope (look in a boating shop) in place of a stair rail)
• Restoration Hardware has rope accessories and other nautical accents.
• Other rope accessories at Ballard Designs.
Arteriors Strasbourg Shell Chandelier – $1,797.60
Shell accessories are a clear means to bring into a beachy look, but you will find methods to be subtle with them. This chandelier is a nonobvious announcement piece, for instance. You might also get shell items that won’t break the bank : Shell- or capiz-framed mirrors and picture frames, bowls, lamps and even sculptures could be beautiful at a coastal-style house.
• Find this one at Candelabra
• Get a giant clam shell (and other shell attachments) at Z Gallerie.
• Or, visit the beach and collect shells and sand dollars to exhibit.
Coral Candelabra – $62
Coral is another common component (a chunk of coral atop a stack of books or tucked into a bookshelf, for example), but it is wonderful when imagined in a new manner, like this candelabra. I also enjoy using the theme in textiles, like a throw blanket or a rug, to get the look in an unexpected manner.
• This candelabra is from Design Darling.
• Browse coral accessories at the Products section
Sea Grass Stool, Honey – $129
I adore this sea grass stool for a natural touch. Sea grass accessories abound in coastal decoration, as do buoys and driftwood signs.
• This stool and other all-natural textures are part of Pottery Barn’s seasonal assortment.
• True to its title, you can discover a good deal of natural pieces at Wicker Paradise.
• When shopping vintage, be sure to check for unraveling or fraying wicker, that can be difficult to fix.
Regina Andrew Lighting Aqua Glass Ripple Lamp – $198
Pretty lamps, accessories and other delicate pieces can evoke a beachfront touch when they’re in colors of oceanic blue — especially if they’re textured just like an under-the-sea monster, as this lamp is.
• Find this one at Layla Grayce
• Browse blue accessories
Baldwin Sofa Slipcover
Slipcovers are crucial at a beachy residence, so sand doesn’t take up permanent residence on the sofa.
• Ballard Designs has lots of easy and classic slipcovers.
• A modern take on the slipcover at Serena and Lily.
• For a large selection of slipcovers, attempt Comfort Works.
Dash & Albert Rug Company
Staffordshire Stripe Woven Cotton Rug – $30
If sand and surf are actual design dilemmas for you, you’ll want an indoor-outdoor rug for a look that lasts.
• Rugs from Dash & Albert will continue to keep your floors looking pristine.
• Lots of colorful outdoor carpets from World Market.
• Go to your jute look with one from Crate and Barrel.
Amazon.com: Coastal Style: Home Decorating Ideas Inspired by Seaside Living (978 – $29.95
More inspiration on coastal style:
Sarah’s Sydney Beach Cottage
Cool and Coastal Newport Beach Home
Update That Beachy Style
Tell us : Is your style coastal? Share a picture of your design options below.